Looking at the NSP Touring LT Inflatable SUP


Is this a review of an inflatable touring SUP from NSP? Of course, but I am going to start this iSUP blog by talking about tents. 


I like tents; it is a healthy obsession of mine that started as a child with my Scout group’s Vango Force 10 tents. Big orange things that weighed as much as a small house that we used on Dartmoor. You’re probably not interested in the rest of my tent history, so let’s skip forward several decades to living in Sweden. A country where sleeping outside is hard-wired into the law of the land.



Tunnskär - a tiny Swedish island 

Allemanesrätten in Sweden


Literally ‘The All-Man’s Right ’, this is the right to roam, or sleep, almost anywhere. It is an act of law that carries much responsibility for the beneficiary, and it is fantastic! After a few years of missing nights under canvas (technically silicon-coated nylon), I have started to sleep outside regularly again, and my tent collection has grown to include a red Hilleberg, because … Sweden. It is almost a requirement.


Islands


My most used spots are near my house; I can literally walk up the hill into the forest and set up my tent. Which is great, but when conditions allow, I really want to be at the coast. 

I love to combine my tent obsession with my SUP obsession. My first overnight on an island was a few years ago, then there was a long gap until last autumn when I took the NSP Carolina Evo out for a hot date in my local fjord. I was on the wrong island, but shhhhh, don’t tell anyone. I did do a good beach clean to make up for my error. 


Tent, Carolina Evo and a great view


And that went well; the board was great, but the spot I slept in was less so, lots of noise from all the houses only a few hundred meters away. The spot was chosen by the board: a big sandy bay where I didn't have to clamber over slippery rocks to get to my sleep spot. 


Now I needed to get back to the sea, further out away from people. Where there are no beaches to park a carbon board. 


NSP Touring LT

iSUPS


Inflatable SUPs are perfect for the places I want to sleep, and I wanted to take the NSP Performance Race FSL on an overnight adventure, but it lacks any significant cargo capability. There are 2 D-rings at the stern, but I do not feel confident putting all my kit back there, both for balance and security. I don’t want to lose it! 

I was in discussion with the team at NSP on adding D-rings, but they wanted me to keep the racer aspect of the board and, to be honest, I wanted something a little wider and slower if I am taking equipment with me. In the conversation, I asked if there might be a touring board I could get my hands on, and ... 


NSP Touring LT loaded and ready to go

NSP Touring LT


My Touring LT is a heavily used demo board from somewhere in Europe, and once the main demo season had ended, it was sent to me. On arrival, it was clear that this board had had many, many adventures already; it carries several battle scars. After a quick wash to get rid of anything that shouldn't be on a board used in a new area, we were ready to go! It was clean, still scarred and looking good.



NSP Touring LT

The board is 12’6” long, 32” wide and 5” thick, with a volume of 345 litres. Mine came with a new backpack, a new dolphin fin with thumbscrew, a repair kit, bungee storage front and back and a used double-action pump. Happy days. 


The nose is pointy, the waist is wide, and the tail is square-ish. 



NSP Touring LT

Up top, starting at the front, we have a carry handle, useful for getting a loaded board out of the water or carrying between portages with a friend. There are 4 D-rings with a colour-matched bungee threaded through them in front of the deckpad. Then the deckpad, which is in three sections: the first short section has a Scotty mount; the next section is the main standing area with one carry handle in the centre. On my board, this isn't quite in the centre of the board, and it carries slightly nose-down. Moving back, we have a change in pad texture and colour near the tail, useful to know when you step back to turn; another Scotty mount, 4 more D-Rings with bungee, another handle with a paddle holder pad and finally the inflation valve and leash point. 


Touring fin for a Touring LT


Underneath the hull is plain, other than a D-ring at the nose and an NSP logo. At the tail end there is a two-part US box fin. This makes folding a little easier, and it will accommodate a standard ‘FCS’ style touring fin, perfectly! The fin from the Performance Race FSL slotted straight in. 


That evening I found a parking spot at the coast, pumped it to 18PSI (the max advised), securely attached my two dry bags, one front and one at the rear, and headed out to sea to a tiny island in the Kattegat 2,5km from my starting point and approximately 1,5km from the nearest people. 


Paddling the NSP Touring LT loaded


There is no hiding that this is a wide board, a full 10 inches wider than my NSP Ninja. And this shows in stability. I’m not sure how you quantify stability, but paddling out on a busy late-summer Tuesday evening when it seemed everyone from Gothenburg who had a boat was on the water was easy. On my stability index, it scores 10+ out of 10 for stability. It is off the positive end of the stability scale. 


Speed suffers, but this is not a Ninja, a Carolina Evo, or a Performance Race FSL competitor. It struggles to keep up with any of them, but they struggle to carry the load that this can carry; compromises. Speed, however, is important, and I did take this Touring LT to the lake for a training session; read on for that. 


The need for speed - Touring board edition


The day after my little adventure, I took the Touring LT to a tiny lake near me, pumped it up to 18 psi again and got on with my Booth Training session. 


The NSP Touring LT at the TL, Tiny Lake.


This was fun! Resistance training. Without a load on it, the board is lively and responsive; turns are done with ridiculous ease, as they should be on such a wide board. Speed was actually OK; this is an 8,5kmh board if you put the effort in, but I will not be trying to beat my SUP My Race TT best on it, as maintaining those speeds requires a lot of effort. 


Is speed important for a touring board? Maybe not so much, but that this board can move fairly quickly implies that the shape is efficient, and that is important if you plan on paddling a long way.


It is fun to paddle, great for exploring and for practising drills, for example, footwork. 


Now, back to my adventures…




Welcome to Tunnskär, population 1.


Back to my island, Tunnskär. I mentioned that the paddle out was easy, as it should be. I didn’t have to think about any of the messy chop from boat wake or bounce back from islands I passed; the board just lets that slide under as you progress. Tracking, with a touring fin, not the 9” dolphin fin supplied, was straight and true, and once I got to my spot, landing on a wide flat rock was uneventful; no need to worry about a carbon hull against the rocks. The forward handle was a huge benefit for getting the board up onto the shore so I could unload. 


And we spent a magical night under the stars together. A great first date. 



Breakfast with the LT

Breakfast and coffee in the morning, and a quick top-up of the board; this is important. Always take a pump. 


Paddling back the next morning was easier; no one else was up, and the sea was calm with a slight offshore breeze. And this is where I noticed something: bubbles. 


My board had a hole! 


In the deck!!!!


That morning, it had lost just over one PSI. I had put this down to inflating it with air temp at 26° the previous evening and paddling back with air temp at 12° after sitting on cold rocks all night; no problem, as I topped it up with my pump before heading back. But it would appear that it was actually from what looked like a stab wound in the deck. I am 99% sure that there are no knife-wielding inhabitants on the island, so I reported back to NSP, and an investigation started. 


And it seems this poor board had one final adventure before it got to me; someone took it to a knife fight and used it as a shield.  Or, more likely, on its journey from a demo centre to me via Germany, it was damaged in transit, and no one noticed. NSP offered to replace it immediately with a new one. 




But then the guys at NSP had an idea: I should try to fix it. 


I was quite happy with this change in direction; I dislike waste and am usually quite good at fixing things. So there I was, sitting in my garage with some tools, some solvent and glue and the internet, looking at what to do…


Fixing an inflatable SUP


Step 1: Do not do what I did! 


The internet said to remove the deck pad around the leak using a knife. The internet said that this was easy if careful and that the hull was robust enough for this. 


The internet was wrong. Or maybe it was right years ago for cheap, heavy boards. But iSUP technology has moved on, and this is not a cheap, heavy board. This is a light board made with lightweight materials, and I messed up. Despite being very careful with a very short blade, I managed to make two more tiny holes in the hull. I was distraught.


My advice: if you have to do this, do not use a blade. Underlined and in bold, to make sure you get this important point. 


Instead, use a blunt plastic or wooden implement and work out from the hole in your deckpad that you are going to fix. It will take a little longer, but you’ll save time in the long run; you will only have one hole to fix! 


After having a word with myself, I borrowed a butter knife from the kitchen (shhh, don't tell anyone!) and used that to enlarge the circle in my deckpad for my now bigger repair. Then I used safety scissors to cut the pad away. 


Testing my patch. One week at 15PSI



Step 2: Clean and Glue


From this nightmare start, the fixing went well. A trip to my local boat supplies shop to get appropriate glue from Polymarine, lots of cleaning to remove all of the old glue, careful application of the new glue, and then wait- 6 hours to bond, 48 hours to cure properly and 7 days for full strength, if my translation of the Swedish was correct. 


After leaving the board for 2 days, I tested my repair. And immediately went into a panic when there were yet more bubbles! 


This freaked me out a little more than I would like to admit, and I hastily removed more deckpad, only to find that I had caused an air bubble under the edge of the pad when removing the first bit. Relief! And a bit annoyed, as my carefully cut hole in the pad was now a ragged mess that needed to be tidied up. 


Now she is fixed; it isn’t pretty, as I now have some more glue to remove, and I am waiting for a new bit of deckpad, in grey, to hide and highlight the repair. 


Why didn't I see the bubbles earlier?


A good question that I have asked myself several times. I suspect I can blame the board for this; on the way out, I was busy keeping an eye on all the boats that were on the water with me, not getting in their way. And I did not look down at my feet or think about the board at all; I just paddled. And I think the deck was dry all the way. 


On the way back, the sea was calm, only commercial boats heading out to fish, and I caught a wave from one; then the deck got wet and ... bubbles. 


If you are paddling an inflatable on an overnight trip, always take a pump. Just in case! 


Repaired and ready to go training


The Future

I have tested the board at 18 PSI at the tiny lake for a Booth Training session, and it was 18 PSI when I got back to the van. So my repair, although a bit bigger than necessary, works. I will be keeping an eye on it! 


This board will be used for social paddles, lessons and overnight adventures. If I get the time and inclination for a longer trip, maybe further from shore, then maybe I will enquire about getting a less-used version from NSP. It will look much better in images! 


NSP are one of the leading SUP and Surf brands and are active all around the world. You can find out more about their SUP Range on the NSP website https://www.nspsurfboards.com and on their Facebook and Instagram pages. They have recently launched a dedicated SUP Race Instagram account - NSP Racing


You can find me running the Facebook group  SUP My Race and now, occasionally, on Instagram.


You can read the previous training logs here Training Logs and you can get to individual blog posts using the labels in the sidebar.