Lighter, stronger, faster. Paddles from EO SUP

EO SUP Oti Paddle

Lighter, stronger, faster. Three words that accurately describe the Oti paddle from EO SUP

After six months use what I can say about the Oti paddle? 

I can say that it still looks as good as new despite being abused for six months, thrown into the back of a van without a bag, breaking ice on winter paddles, hitting rocks when it gets too shallow too quickly, scraped on sandy seabeds when trying to paddle rather than walk. And more. The only aftercare it has had in six months is to be rinsed with fresh water when I get home and an occasional rub with a cloth or a towel. The finish on the handle, shaft and bade are all still gorgeous. 

I can say that the wooden handle and blade are still things of beauty that make me smile every time I pick the paddle up. 

EO SUP Oti Paddle

I can say that I haven’t used any of my other paddles except the EO SUP FORTIS since I started to use the OTI simply because the paddles from EO are better than every other paddle in my garage in every way. Lighter, stronger, faster. I have used a lot of paddles over the last 8 years from most of the major paddle suppliers, not only do the EO paddles look nicer they also perform better. 

I can say that this year I am paddling faster than I have paddled before. This isn't just down to the paddle but this is the first year in many where I have not had to take a break from paddling with shoulder problems. That is down to two things, better post-paddle care by me and having a paddle with a medium flex shaft that helps me look after my body. 

I can say (with some pride) that my average speeds for all distances are up on last year and I have already achieved one of my 2021 fitness goals - to maintain a speed of 9 km/h for an hour. My next challenge is to maintain 10 km/h for 4 km - the length of my local lake. Using the Oti I have won my first SUP race, a 10 km time trial here in Sweden and I am, at time of writing, leading the Scandinavian SUP Series after three events.

EO SUP Oti Paddle
EO SUP Oti paddle in the Gothenburg archipelago. Image Sofia Jorpes.

The other paddle I have from EO SUP is the adjustable 2020 FORTIS paddle and this is a little too short for me, if it were 50mm longer then I would be using that a lot for racing and  training in my dugout board.  I have been using it occasionally and can confirm that it is the faster, more powerful sibling to the Oti  and I am hoping to get my hands on a slightly longer version in the near future.

Rest assured that the FORTIS is not gathering dust while i go for longer paddles with my Oti, it has been on loan to several paddlers who all like it. More importantly it has come back in the same condition it went out it, it is still flawless after many, many sessions in the hands of others.

Quick recap on the two paddles

Oti fixed - 2085mm, 465g and my initial thoughts can be found here 

FORTIS  adjustable - max length 1980mm, 570g and my initial thoughts can be found here

And more about EO SUP and their range can be found on their website EO SUP