Palm Talon Glove Review

Palm Talon Glove Review

A pair of Talons

With temperatures dropping and the onset of winter I found I needed a new pair of gloves for paddling. Last year I was using an old pair of wetsuit gloves that had a bit of grip on the palms but that didn’t really do the job and I found that the paddle shaft would slip in my hand when putting some effort in.  Last year a mate turned up for a paddle with some open palm gloves and swore they worked. His hands were warm enough throughout a pretty cold session in the sea and having seen some good things written about the Palm Talon I took the plunge and bought a pair.

I’d normally go to a local shop and try gloves on but to the best of my knowledge nowhere near me stocks Palm, or if they do their websites need to be updated. So I bought unseen from a well-known internet supplier.

Open palm

The gloves are made from a 2mm ‘ThermoFibre titanium neoprene’, that means is that they feel nice when you’ve got them on. The back of the mitt is two-tone, black with grey over the thumb, the palm is made of softer material and textured to give some extra grip. And of course there's a big hole. They have a Velcro and elastic closure around the wrist. I’ll come back to that later. The fingertip end of the mitt is partitioned with spaces for the index and middle fingers, the ring finger and little finger are together in one partition.  The thumb is largely enclosed.

Sizing is always tricky when buying on-line, there are size charts available that are copies of the information on the Palm Equipment website here http://palmequipmenteurope.com/content/size-guides which also explains where to measure your hand in order to determine the ideal pair for you. On many retail sites that information the where to measure information is missing. I went for ‘Large’.  

Look lose but aren't.
Actual fit felt a little lose in the quickly-unpack-and-try-them-on-in-the-garden test. And in that first test one shortcoming, for me anyway, of the Velcro strap was immediately apparent, the elastic wrist strap has Velcro on both sides, the loop part of the closure. This is sandwiched between two other bits of ‘hook’ Velcro, a very secure fastening but the hook sections catch on the softer material that the palm of the gloves is made of when doing them up and I fear that after a few uses the thumb will start to look a little tatty.

Grip where it's needed
First use was in challenging conditions early one December morning at Bantham in South Devon, a paddle in a very stiff wind on my race board. Air temperature was 6 degrees Celsius, wind chill making it 2 - 3 degrees, it was bitter getting changed in the carpark. The sea state was ‘rough’ so we elected to stay on the river, from our launch we headed downstream towards the river mouth to see the state of the surf. With the gloves dry they felt a little odd at first, certainly warm enough and keeping the wind from my hands, I normally get cold hands so this was A Good Thing. Within a few minutes I’d stopped thinking they were odd and forgot all about them, also A Good Thing.  Then, in the interests of a through test, I got wet. This was not because I got caught in a sudden gust that sent me sideways pushing my paddle under the board. Definitely not that. It was a conscious decision to leave my board and see how the gloves performed and where better to do that than in some quite cold water, between 10 and 11 degrees Celsius.

First thing I noticed wasn’t that the water was cold but that the water filled the glove. That’s a pretty obvious statement as they have a big hole in them but I’d not considered it until it happened. This means that the end of the mitt fills quickly but then drains as quickly when you grab your paddle or put your hands on the deck to get back on the board. What didn’t happen was that feeling of cold hands.

When wet there was a different feel to the glove, hard to describe and nothing unpleasant, or cold. As with the start of the paddle I quickly got used to it and stopped thinking about it as we turned to get the wind on our backs and quickly progressed up river.

Grip where it's needed
After a few Km of down-winding we had to turn, accepting that the free ride we’d been enjoying was over and now the paddle would get much more difficult. Straight into an increasing wind, wind-speed had been forecast for 20+ kph, it felt much stronger. So much so that standing and paddling hard meant no forward motion, drop to knees and start to move. Throughout this the gloves were completely unnoticed performing exactly as they should, I had warm hands and wasn’t thinking about them at all.  Until the wind picked up again and I decided that prone was the way forward, stick the paddle on the deck and make like a surfer. At this point I took the gloves off. That was a mistake as I immediately found out just how cold it was, gloves back on! Again the Velcro fastening caught on the softer material on the palm but they went on easily enough in mid river, certainly easier than a full, wet glove would have.

Paddling prone is probably outside of the design considerations of these gloves but it is something that happens, paddles break, conditions change and we have to adapt to suit. So must our kit.

The good news is that although they felt strange when used that way, they fill and empty on each stroke, my hands were still warm, I was really surprised and very pleased to find that out. Conditions worsened around the next bend so much that we were reduced to walking at the rivers edge pushing the boards. Once in slightly calmer conditions around the next bend I was back on my knees and then my feet. As before the gloves were not noticed, I didn’t think about them once after I’d started to paddle again. Back to the slipway we’d launched from and only when I picked up the board did I think about the gloves again noticing that the handle on the board was tighter than usual. 

My conclusion – they work. They work very well in the conditions I’ve tried them. I’m confident that in colder conditions they’d continue to work and will try that theory through the rest of the winter.