Lithuanian Lake SUP

Lithuanian Lake SUP

Busy day on Lake Aisetas
Lithuania is one of the three Baltic states, when driving there cross Europe and turn left when you get Warsaw making sure to avoid the boarder with Belarus and Kaliningrad. I’m sure that they are lovely to visit but require all sorts of visas so it’s quicker and easier to head straight to Lithuania. Of course it would be much easier to fly which is how I'd recommend getting there for any visit, paddling or not! 

The country is flatish, not  Norfolk flat but it’s low lying, open rolling countryside that’s heavily forested with some significant rivers and thousands of lakes.  And that’s the focus of this entry, lakes.

Off to explore Lake Požerė
First up, Požerė in Taurages in the west of the country. This was almost my first stop after getting to Kvedarna in the West of Lithuania and I was glad to be out of the van after 1,500 miles. Just glad to be on the water, any water!  I didn’t really expect anything special from my first lake paddle so after inflating both boards and leaving the other one with some friends it was a bit of a surprise to find myself paddling in a pretty lake with no one else around on a warm August afternoon. With a pike for company.  Something that I bet I’ll never see again so close. Sadly with no camera. My career with the BBC natural history unit is yet to start.


I got a quick loop in around the top end of the lake then returned to the others so they could have a go and ended up having a fun hour or so messing about on boards. The perfect antidote to the drive.

G and me at Lake Požerė 
My second lake was somewhere I’d been before. After driving from Kverdarna to Vilnius to stay with friends we had a short drive to Trakai for a paddle around the castle.

Paddling around Trakai castle
Trakai isn’t like a castle might be in the UK, it’s been heavily restored after falling into disuse in the 17th century. The restoration started in 1888 and continued through the German occupation in WWI  and under the soviet occupation after WWII. Because of this long restoration it might give English Heritage a heart attack as it’s a mix of the old, the nearly as old and the new on the top. But that adds to it's charm.

Trakai Castle

It’s also in the middle of a series of lakes that are well used in summer, happily it was overcast with stiff breeze and a threat of rain later so the place was quiet when we got there.

Reed bed windbreak

Choppy at times
A mixed 6km paddle of flat water, choppy water, downwind and headwind with some inventive use of a reed bed as an anchor while waiting for my guides with an excellent pasty stop near the end, although over there they call them Kibinas.

Everyone speeds up for the kibinas van
Enough of a paddle to get a feel for the place and to get a view of the castle I’d not seen when I first visited years ago.

The third lake paddle was a little more remote. Which is good. Lake Aisetas was the destination in Utena County which is in the north east of the country. 
Pristine shoreline 
This is a ribbon lake and I was off to explore with a loop that took me out and back for a total distance of 8 km. I thought that was most of the lake until I got home and looked on Google for this blog… the lake is approximately 15km long so I’d barely got ¼ of the way up it from my starting point!

Property envy
Sort of Scandinavian in feel, I guess. Lots of trees to the waters edge and another great paddle with a variety of wildlife including various grebes, black throated divers, egret, swan and various raptors above with pike, perch, rudd and European crayfish below.

European Crayfish, harder to catch than you'd think
I ended the day playing on my hosts F-one boards, wide at 33 inches with a lot of volume for a 10'6" board and very stable. 



My fourth and final lake was Lake Lusiai which is a starting point for a popular kayak round trip using a number of interconnected lakes. 
Heading off up the first lake

More property envy
This was stunning, a 16km out and back using three lakes and two stretches of river. At times very shallow, too shallow for the fin I was using, and once we’d left the developed but deserted foreshore very beautiful.

Signposted route


Shallow rivers connect the lakes

Clean, clear water.

Unspoilt
Shallow water + big fin = nose down
After a  bit of mis communication in the small group I found myself alone in Lake Dringykstis which initially appeared to be A Bad Thing. 
Perfect conditions
But I found myself chasing the others across perfectly flat water surrounded by forest with millions of rushes and reeds framing the lake. Enough to bring a smile to anyone. Once I’d found my happy face again it was stunning to look back and see the only sign of activity on the water was a perfect V wake behind me.

Another great paddle in a stunning location that was deserted other than one fisherman at the far end of one lake. I'd imagine that this set of lakes in particular would be very busy in August, the infrastructure where we started would support a lot of water-sport enthusiasts, but slightly out of season on an overcast day everything was shut and the water was ours.

Trakai Paddle

Aisetas Paddle
Lusiai Paddle