Starboard SUP paddle - first impression


Starboard SUP Paddle - first impressions


Yesterday evening i picked up a new paddle from Ruben at SUP Rental . It's from the Starboard range and here are my first impressions:

Overview

My other paddle is currently a Red Paddle Carbon, round carbon shaft, carbon blade and a plastic / elastomer handle. It was their standard Carbon paddle from 2 seasons ago before they revamped their paddle range. 

New paddle is a pick and mix from the Starboard toy box. Oval foil premium shaft with a large Tiki Tech high aspect blade and the standard handle. 

For the sake of this blog they cost the same. ish.

There are details on the current RP Carbon here and the current Starboard paddle range here

Details

From the kitchen scales of truth the RP comes in at 751g, the Starboard at 613g. Quite a difference. I thought some of that might come from the fact that the Starboard is shorter but my favourite tape measure (by Park Tools, lives with my favourite hammer also from Park) reveals that the RP is 220cm and the Starboard 213. Less difference than I thought.


First paddle


Had over 2 hours paddling yesterday, first paddle was a 50 minute solo session from Cawsand, 10 minutes with the wind and swell from Cawsand towards Ft Picklecombe then a 22 minute slog into the wind and swell back followed by a cool down explore in the shelter of the bay. 



That was with the Red Carbon paddle and at the end I was tired with my shoulders and lats complaining. Particularly the left lat after picking up a niggle with last weekend's paddle.

Then I had 90 minutes or more social paddle with a large group using the Starboard paddle. This was in mixed conditions from glassy to falling off, simply staying upright to some short sprints. For that time I didn't think once about the niggle on my left side. I think that, unscientifically, says something about high aspect blades. I may be converted.



In use this paddle feels much lighter than my other paddle. And from passing it around the group last night it is significantly lighter than a glass or alloy paddle. Just under 140g might not sound like much and you can go lower with more cash on the blade but this is light enough for me, there are easier and cheaper ways to improve my power to weight ratio.  
  
With the blade being slightly longer and slightly narrower the theory is that stroke rate / cadence increases with less effort per stroke. This is born out by my observation above. So I could be going faster but I was a tired after a workout using the old paddle before new paddle delivered so not sure, need to get out with my Garmin on a flat day. 



The shaft has a matt carbon finish which gives good grip. Handle is about the same comfort as the Red, I didn't miss the elastomer coating. Oval and oversized shaft means no noticeable flex when sprinting, I'm not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, it’s different. Carbon when laid up well can give a lot of feeling on a bike, in a paddle that effect could, should be of more benefit with the spring in the shaft giving more at the end of each stroke. I think. The Red carbon I can feel flexing a little under full power and it might turn out to be more comfortable with a slower stroke rate.


Blade shape means that leaning on it in the water doesn’t work as well as the rounder Red Carbon, I was trying that last night on two shorter boards (10' 5" custom Escape SUP and a 9' 6" Red Paddle All Water)  where leaning on the paddle is more important to me staying upright and turning when not moving fast. Fell in a lot getting used to it.

As for the length, time will tell. My previous Red Carbon was 210cm and I liked that a lot, before it snapped at the handle. 

Overall, I like it. It will take a while to get used to it properly and it will be interesting to see how my speed increases. Top speed on the Red Carbon was 13.3 km/h ... watch this space.

Summary



Red Paddle Carbon 2013
Starboard Custom



Construction
Plastic handle with elastomer grip, carbon shaft, carbon blade
Plastic handle, Carbon Shaft (premium foil), Tiki Tech blade
Length
220 cm
213 cm
Weight
751g
613g
Blade Size

585 cm2
Shaft Shape
Round
Oval
Cost (RRP)
 £185
 £189