Spain - 2006


My first attempt at writing for the office intranet site in 2006.  Unedited but now photo-rich. 

Riding over peaches, falling over rocks

Mountain biking in Spain  
 
Cutting edge, before I discovered Pikes.
Some time ago I picked up a book called ‘Driving Over Lemons’ written by Chris Stewart, a sheep shearing Englishman who’d decided to move to a region of Southern Spain called La Alpujarra that includes the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I was somewhat taken with the book and thought that I’d like to visit the region. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to take my mountain bike abroad for a week, a small advert in a magazine caught my eye for a company called Switchbacks operating in La Alpujarra. Several e-mails later I was booked for a week of riding with Mike, a laid back Canadian, former professional downhill mountain bike racer, I should have paid more attention to his former occupation...

View from my window
I arrived in Granada late on Saturday and was met by Mike for the 70-minute drive to Bubion. Sunday dawned bright, sunny and hot. Looking out the window I soon realised just how high we were; at 1600m above sea level Bubion sits just below the winter snow line. Greeted at 10am by Robin, our guide for the day, we ran through introductions, sized up each others equipment (bikes!)

Day 1, hello.

and left, riding through the steep, narrow village streets up to the mountain road, each of us concentrating on riding on the right, avoiding the numerous small yappy dogs and copious amounts of windfall fruit on the way. Everyone we saw greeted us with a hearty ‘Hola!’ and the occasional bit of Spanish that roughly translated to ‘look, more daft English men on bikes’.

Leaving the village below us we wound our way up and up, past the end of the surfaced road onto gravel tracks. The higher we climbed the better the view, a very good counter to the gradient. Eventually we re-grouped at a trailhead and padded up; 

A slimmer, padded me.
this was something new to me, wearing arm and leg armour to protect you from the effects of a fall and, as we quickly found out, from the attention of the undergrowth, prickly plants were everywhere. Following Robin’s advice we dropped our saddles and tentatively started down a narrow track. This was at various points steep, rocky, dusty, smooth, fast, slow and always exhilarating. We quickly picked up speed as we shot through rock gardens, around bermed corners and through dry stream beds, occasionally falling off and all too soon stopping to re-group at the next village, our grins could be seen on Google Earth and this was just the start! The morning progressed in the same vein, getting slightly harder as we descended. Lunchtime saw us stop at a small bar, coffee and cold drinks all round with some tapas, this is how a ride should go…But we’d lost all the altitude we’d worked hard to gain and what comes down must at some point go up. In this case a 90-minute climb called ‘desolation’ beckoned but at least it was followed by some fast flowing singletrack alongside a steep valley. Happily all single tracks in the Alpujarra seems to lead to a bar! Day one over, I’d survived, the food was good and the beer was cold.
 
Beer!
Day two dawned with a new guide, Tony. While Robin was on a bike much like everyone else’s, Tony turned up on an oversized BMX / jump bike. Oh dear…. but he’d brought transport. 

Aim at the man in red.
Driven up the mountain to a new trail we all rode things we’d never have ridden before and were very glad Tony was a ‘strong lad’- it helps a lot when someone can catch you when (not if) you fall. Collapsing in a village square at lunchtime greedily drinking spring water under the baking midday sun we reflected on what we’d learnt, how good the trails were and wondering what else they had in stall for us. More tough tracks followed ending at, you guessed it, a bar!


Tony playing catch.
Alpujarran Bike Park
Tuesday, our first ‘big ride’ and today we were with head honcho Mike. After sticking the bikes to the top of ‘The Tank’, a battered old 4x4, we were off high up the mountain. After unloading and a short fire road climb to warm us up, we headed up the valley on some frankly beautiful trails, picking our way through boulders and clumps of alpine plants, occasionally splashing through streams fed from springs above us.
Warm up ride.
We were all guilty of falling off when we should have been looking at something other than the view. Sat at the head of the valley looking towards the Mediterranean Sea on a beautiful sunny day, it just couldn’t have been any better. But this ride had been easy so far and we knew that Mike had something in store for us, the drop back to Orgiva was challenging to say the least; I tested my body armour several times on the way down. No one cleared this trail without falling. At the end of the day, again in a bar, we were all reflecting on what was an ‘epic’ in every sense, I was drained. Thankfully Wednesday was a rest day.

Perfect singletrack
It's not a sexy sport.
Thursday was a day for recovering some confidence, concentrating on fun rather than exertion. The trails were damp and sticky giving huge amounts of grip and catching us all out after the slippery dust of the previous rides but we all ended up grinning again. Phew. At the end of the day Mike warned us that Friday was going to be a big day, he wasn’t kidding.

Better than the Alps?
 Climbing real mountains on a bike is a fantastic experience and Friday didn’t disappoint, the group slowly split up after being dropped off as far up the mountain as The Tank could go. The car park was at roughly 2,200m, the trailhead at 2,800m, doesn’t sound like much does it, but it took an hour to get there.

Climbing

Climbing
Climbing
No time was wasted at the top, it was cold up there and with armour on and saddles dropped we shot down a snowy scree slope and into fields of boulders where the trail was only marked by the occasional tyre track. The view was breathtaking and I used any excuse to stop to look at it, OK sometimes I stopped on my backside rather than on the bike but it was that good.
 
After climbing ... fun! 
Within minutes I was shattered yet stringing together combinations of corners that I’d never have tried just a week before. I was cheering after each corner, much to the amusement of a pair of walkers heading up towards me. Too late I saw the video camera, then the big rock cunningly hidden amongst all the other big rocks, then the ground. Another rider caught me as I sorted my self out, his face contorted with concentration as he slid down the hill on a white-knuckle ride chanting ‘speed is my friend’ quietly to himself. Speed was my friend as I passed him on the next straight. Quite simply it was the best bit of riding I’ve ever done.
 
Happy Riders.

Would I do it again? I’d go tomorrow but I’ll have to wait until next year.

July 2014 addition. 

On the last day we revisited a drop off that more able riders had attempted earlier in the week. You can guess what happened next: