Stand Up March 2013


What's SUP
Stand Up Paddling or the art of falling in, ungracefully

Originally written for the local office magazine in March 2013.

Picture a warm summer evening at the beach, the sea is calm, not a breath of wind and a graceful figure glides past, silhouetted against the skyline, apparently floating over the water with a long paddle in their hands. A stand up paddle boarder.

That’s almost what I do.

Picture instead a cold February day off the rocky South Hams coast: a biting cold wind from the North and a grinning, wetsuit-clad middle aged man, complete with neoprene gloves and balaclava, sitting on a board with a long paddle across his lap. That’s what I do.



A few years ago I was at Bantham beach early in the morning, before the summer rush to put down towels and erect wind breaks. It was a calm, sunny day with no surf so I was a little surprised to notice someone heading up the beach with a massive surfboard, a board so big it was hard not to notice him. And what looked like an oversized canoe paddle in his other hand. We stopped and had a chat and my interest in the world of Stand Up Paddling was started.

I didn’t do anything after my first SUP encounter, I started to notice more SUPers on the sea and occasionally on rivers but the boards just seemed too big to live with.

SUP was probably born before the first surf boards were created when someone decided to stand up in a canoe and paddle, the modern SUP is more than a massive surf board. Boards are continually evolving for different and diverse uses, from fishing trips on rivers and lakes to big surf days to oceanic adventures. Board lengths vary greatly from 9 feet to 17 and more, competitions from flat-water races to pro surf contests. Materials range from foam like soft boards to fibre glass and full carbon high tech race boards. But all with that one drawback for me, the size making them hard to live with.

Whilst aimlessly surfing the web, I stumbled across a SUP forum with a link to a video from The Red Paddle Co of white water SUPing on an inflatable board. Very interesting. More reading and YouTube research and I was hooked, it was time to take the plunge, as it turns out literally, and a 10’6” inflatable board was ordered; the size based on my, somewhat optimistic, assessment of my ability to balance on air. 


The Dreadnaught, as she was initially christened was launched at Lopwell Dam near Plymouth on a calm, warm summer’s evening, 15 mins pumping, 10 mins struggling with an old wetsuit and I was in, accompanied by a safety kayak paddled by a very amused Paul. Paddling away from the bank on my knees, the water so still you could clearly see the ripples radiating out from the slow moving craft, as I, somewhat nervously, stood up. 


And didn’t fall in!

A very nervous 40 minutes later and we’re heading back to the slipway, still largely dry despite several close calls where I dropped to my knees to avoid falling into the dark brown tidal river. I was exhausted and my legs ached like they’d never ached before but I was pretty sure then I was hooked. 



Next trip to the sea: Mothecombe Beach in the South Hams. A wide tidal estuary with clear water and a sandy bottom, perfect to practise and see if I could catch a wave at the estuary mouth, over-confident from my shaky start on a glassy calm river, I was in and on my feet immediately, and straight into the water! Right in front of a few people who thought it was hilarious. A tiny swell made things 10 times harder but now aware that I was going to get a dunking I was off, again and again and again. And it was great! 

More trips lead to close encounters with fish, kingfishers and curious bystanders, experience lead to higher pressures in the board and a better wetsuit for the inevitable dunking. And then a big day, my daughter wanted a go. She was a typical teenager, not interested in what her daft dad did, until the arrival of the iSUP. 



Back to the beach and after some instruction from me she was off, a natural. Immediately gliding along just like the SUPer I’d seen years before, so I did what any proud dad would do, swam after her and grabbed the leash trailing behind the board sending her into the water. Ha! The next couple of hours passed in a blur, teaching her how to turn, seeing if we could both use the board at the same time, watching her paddle off across the bay and back. Going quicker now so I couldn’t catch her.  

One board was not going to be enough.

A summer holiday and paddling adventures in Southern German lakes re-enforced this, although the board could happily cope with 4 teenagers on it, a SUP in a lake is a teenager magnet, it was borderline for me on anything other than flat calm, and Sarah had pretty much claimed it as her own, off around the lake without a care in the world, as dry when she left as when she returned. Sickening. 



The SUP fleet had to increase in size and in January a new 12’6” iSUP again from Red Paddle was ordered. 50% thicker and nearly double the volume of the now renamed ‘small board’, hopefully the ideal board for me. A half day was booked with kayaking Paul to launch the new board out but delays with shipping meant that the proposed launch day arrived with no sign of it.  But it was a lovely day with a good swell and with a rental board from the shop off we went, time to try SUP surfing. Harder work but more exhilarating than flat water with 100% more falling in, the aspect of the sport at which I excel.



The big board was launched on March 1st at a cold and slightly windy Wembury beach near Plymouth, a costal paddle with an old friend using the smaller board for his first SUP. Confidently paddling away from the beach on my knees to get some speed, as always with a small group of interested spectators, I popped to my feet and paddled. Brilliant! My massive board so much more stable than the small one, up over the first swell, no problems, easy as … Splash! Ah. Bigger wave and gust of wind. Never mind, back on and kneel down, Mark caught up, wary after my graceful stumble, so we paddled around the reef to quieter water, and up again. So much more control, in and out of the rock formations that form this spectacular bit of coast that I’ve never explored before, fish, sea birds, gliding over forests of bladder wrack and kelp, a colour and pattern to the sea bed and costal cliffs that I’d never seen before. 


And not too much falling in. Roll on summer!